Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Children's Books that Honor Diversity

Recently I saw a video and article about Christine O'Donnell being slighted for once claiming on a comedy show how she "dabbled in Witchcraft". As a Witch and Pagan, it upset me. Plain and simple, twisted my insides that once again Witches were going to be deemed as evil and ugly. Granted, this is an age old issue, no different than the years I have endured being called various names because I am Chinese. I have learned to roll my eyes and walk away; and I have learned to empower others to see beyond stereotypes and honor the cultures of others. Paganism and Witchcraft is a culture and community of it's own, no different than a Christian community or Italian community, or American neighborhood community. No matter which way we look at it, it's a group of people who are like-minded and bond together to survive through hard times and celebrate life together. 

I found a variety of books that honors the Pagan community and depicts Witches as Earth loving people, not some green thing that has flying monkeys. (Although, I do admit, I love flying monkeys.) I also have books that share Earth based spirituality. Enjoy!

      















         















      















      

No comments:

Post a Comment